- Easy to use, great for comparing packs, using it for supercapacitor modules too.
- Interesting to see the effects of age on batteries.
I agree with all the good already written. I will add a few notes.
Service from Progressive RC was excellent. I ordered when it was listed as backordered, the next day it was shipped, and the next day they were backordered again. I would advise placing your order and waiting.
I put 4mm solid bullet connectors inline so that I could use Deans and Jst connectors. I first used a Deans to Jst adapter. When I made a bullet to Jst connector, the mah dropped by 45! This meter and the forum where I discovered it have made me painfully aware of the limits of Jst connectors. I will be trying some mini Deans and make a bullet to mini Deans to check that next.
I have checked all of my lipos and logged the results at storage voltage. I look forward to following the usage results.
I have been using this meter for a year now, and its been very useful. The problem I mentioned before about the ESR meter reading higher resistance than an iCharger was because the setup I had with the ESR meter was a 2 wire resistance and thus included all the connectors and adapters, while the iCharger was using the balance tap to read the cells with a 4 wire measurement, and NOT including all the connectors. When you do cell by cell readings both methods now give about the same results. The ESR meter is a lot better on large cells, since it has much better resolution.
The meter has been great. Easy to use, and so it gets used on every pack after ever charge. The increase in pack ESR with age is pretty dramatic. We have had packs DOUBLE their ESR in the year we have had this meter.
The RC Groups links posted by YRS TRULY are very helpful. The REAL "Max C rate" method discussed in those links matches up very well with our experience. (and we do high C rate pack discharge tests regularly).
Anyway, I cannot change my old rating, but here is a new one with all 5 stars. Its not cheap, but it is a good value.
- Seems to do erverything it's supposed to do. Too bad it only has the Deans type of plug. I have other batteries, but I guess I can make some adapters...where is that soldering iron?
I have the chance to play with this ESR when my friend lend it to me. Comparing it with an Icharger 106B which itself is a fairly good on IRs reading, this unit gave me a more precise and accurate reading. Yes it was designed and made by Wayne Giles, one of the gurus of lipos on Rcgroups and other RC forums. More info at RCgroups to maximize its usage.
- ESR meter is quick and accurate way of measuring IR of lipos. Everyone who has lipos should have one in their tool box. I also have a FMA PL8 but prefer the ESR meter for keeping track of IR of each cell and the total pack. I like the total pack reading because it let's me know the quality of the solder joints in the connector.
Once in stock, received the ESR Meter in a couple of days - Great Service.
Well built, and works as advertised. This will be a valuable tool. It is fast and easy to use.
- I appreciate the detailed product overview/background on youtube - that really sold it for me. It was high priced at $80, but understanding my model's power system with confidence is pretty important to me. Thunder power taps require an adapter.
A must-have meter designed by Wayne Giles (find discussion thread on RCGroups) for measuring lipo individual cell and whole pack IR. We can finally call BS on inflated lipo discharge rate claims! Was surprised to find some cheaper Chinese branded packs to have lower IR than some of the brand-name packs. A real eye opener. Can also be used to track pack/cell health over time.
My only complaint would be the switch to change from cell to pack mode - it looks like it will be easy to break off if the meter is just thrown haphazardly in a flight box. But I believe this is being changed in V2.
ESR Meter Submitted by Can't TellYou on 12/18/2012
ESR a great product. Submitted by James on 12/1/2012
Good hand-made quality piece. Submitted by Orlbuzz on 12/1/2012
update from my review a year ago Submitted by Bob Parks on 9/24/2012
ESR Submitted by Anton on 9/1/2012
more info at RCgroups Submitted by YURS TRULY on 7/12/2012
ESR Meter Submitted by William on 7/2/2012
ESR Meter Submitted by Ralph on 6/16/2012
Nice tool Submitted by Mick on 12/14/2011
ESR meter Submitted by Rumple on 11/26/2011